Sunday, October 9, 2011

Here We Go

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The above was from my 9/15/2011 attempt to start this blog ("The Poison Garden" being a reference to a garden of plants with killing powers that I visited at the beautiful Alnwick Castle in Northeast England)... I was determined to try a "blogging by hand" technique, but I ended up using all the rest of the paper from that journal in school, so I decided to finish this one in the traditional blog style. I just got through a 24 hour stint of sleep, movies, medicine and eating nothing but a banana and one bowl of rice thanks to a minor bout with food poisoning and I have awoken from this veritable brush with death rejuvenated, reinvigorated, and resolved to finally get this blog off the ground. It's been just over three weeks now since I arrived in Prague and I am still coming to grips with the fact that I am actually living here--my neurons have been firing like miniature madmen as I attempt to take it all in without being completely overwhelmed by the crazy architecture and bizarre beauty of everything around me. Far too much has happened since my arrival to condense into a normal, readable entry, so I'll give you the short, short version:

I arrived in Prague with no place to stay
But a hostel (Sir Toby's) that was quite far away
From the school I enrolled in (it's name is FAMU)
I was thrilled but I had no idea what to do.

Then I noticed a hand-written sign by the door
Advertising a special "No Umbrella Tour"
Purporting to show us the "underground" Prague
(And it seemed like a great way to put off this blog!)

That's how I met Richard, a man with thick glasses
Who seemed to know more than I'd learn in my classes
Like where to find punk clubs, good food and cheap beer
(Which is one of my favorite things they have here!)

We visited a castle with a view that could kill
And a seventy foot metronome on a hill
Plus the house of an animator that I love
I thought, "Hot dog, I'm gonna fit here like a glove!"

After the tour, all the guests said goodbye
But Richard invited my close friend and I
To come back for some sausage, a drink and a chat
Where he gave us the lowdown on "where it's all at."

Within a few days, I saw so many feats:
A Glass Armonica played by a man in a sheet
And a show by a band once forbidden to play
By the communist government back in the day

Saw a Mozart performance (a Vivaldi one too),
And I even ate steak that was once kangaroo!
At a wine fest I tasted a very strange Czech
Drink of semi-fermented wine they call Burčák.

As far as FAMU goes, the classes are great
We watch lots of old Czech films that go really late
But there's always enough time to catch up a spell
With my flatmates (named Victor, Agathe and Anaël)

Now I must get some work done before my brain fails
But there are many more places and many more tales
If you read my next post, I'm sure that's what you find
Just ask old Sneelock, I'm sure he won't mind.


If you get that last reference you win all the gold stars, I'm going to go eat some dinner, do some drawings and study up on my Czech for tomorrow.

Best wishes,

David

2 comments:

  1. Old Sneelock! I was laughing so hard when I read that line, poor Andrew had no idea what I was saying. I hope you have an easier time transposing your written word onto the Internet in the future, if that's what you're still aiming for. I just loved your poem...so you. Take care, I can't wait to hear more about your incredible adventures. Ange says good luck with the bet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having fun at the Circus McGurkus. Miss you so much, but am incredibly thankful that you have this opportunity to see life from such an amazing perspective - the old-ness, the new-ness, the tradition, the history, the art, the music, the food (and drink) of Europe!

    I hope you keep using this new-fangled contraption, called a keyboard. It's much easier to read than your "blogging by hand" technique. :) Have fun filling in lots of pages...“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

    Hugs from me and dad.

    ReplyDelete